The Faculty of Science was established in 1920 as the fifth faculty of Charles University. It currently has 29 departments, 3 museums and a large Botanical Garden where the Department of Study and some student facilities are located.
At this time, the faculty is academically and organizationally divided into four sections: biological, geographical, geological and chemical. In addition to these sections, the faculty has several specialists teaching and research centers, including interdisciplinary institutions such as the Institute for Environmental Studies. All parts of the faculty are active in both teaching and research. (Cited from the faculty websites: www.natur.cuni.cz)